Friday, November 16, 2012

Martine - Part 10


In case you missed the first part of Martine, click here to catch up.

The girls found their mother in the living room, sitting on the couch. She beckoned them to sit on either side of her. She took a deep breath and began to tell Sophie and Bianca the truth.

"When I was about two years older than Bianca, I moved to a small town in France with my Aunt Josephine. I was one of three black students in my school and it was hard making friend as the local kids grew up among each other. It was hard being a new kid, then a boy a year older that me befriended me. At first, we were just friends, but then we became more."

Although she was talking to her daughters, Martine was staring ahead as though she was looking into the past, "He took me to my first concert, we went to the seaside during the summer. We became intimate and it was my first time. I was so in love with Pierre," Martine sighed.

"I missed my first period and I thought it was because of stress. When I missed my second one, I got married, so I took a bus to a town two towns away. I found out I was pregnant, I was scared but happy. I was carrying Pierre's child. I returned home and went straight to him. I told Pierre that he was going to be a father. He grew angry, he said awful, mean things. He said he didn't love me, he only wanted to sleep with a black girl because he wanted to see how it was different. Plus he questioned if the baby was his," a tear streaked down Martine's cheek.



"I was so shocked at what he said that I fell into a deep depression and it was only when I was showing that my aunt knew that I was pregnant. It was too late to do anything but go through with the pregnancy. If it wasn't for my aunt, I don't know what would have happened," she got up and walked across to the piano. On top of it say a collection of picture frames. Martine picked up a picture of her aunt. Her aunt had died five years ago and true to her word, she took Martine's secret to her grave.

"After much discussion, we decided to put the baby up for adoption. We went through a few agencies and we found a sweet, young couple, Brigitte and Henri Bouvier. They had been trying to have a child for a while but they couldn't have one. They were kind and open minded, not many people would have adopted a biracial child," Martine's back was to Sophie and Bianca.

"I had Alain on May 15th, 1993, I thought it was best he was given to the Bouviers right after he was born. I didn't give him a name, I just gave him away. I felt that if I stayed with him, it would bed hard to let go. The last I saw him was when Brigitte was feeding him for the first time and Henri was sitting ever so close to them. I felt in my heart that he was in good hands. As I left that hospital, I closed that part of my life. I worked hard to get away from that little town. I met your father while I was visiting the States. We fell in love and we got married and we had two beautiful girls," Martine turned to face her daughters.

"So to answer the question, yes, Alain is related to us, he is my son and your half-brother."

There was a long silence, but it was broken by Sophie, "How did he find you, us? What does this mean, now? Does Dad know that Alain is your son? Is he going to live here? Is he now part of our family?"

"All valid questions, Sophie," Martine interrupted, raising her hands up in surrender. "He did his research, the adoption was open, so he knew my name, my aunt had moved to another town, but he could have been able to track me down through her. Dad knows, I told him just before Alain came for dinner. I don't think he'll be moving in, I'm sure he want to enjoy his freedom. As for if he is going to be a part of our family, that's up to him. He's coming this evening for dinner and he should be telling me if the wants to be a part of this family or if he just want me as his mother."

"Who says we want him in our family?" Bianca grumbled. She crossed her arms over her chest and her facial expression was closed.

"I think it would be fun to have a brother, I was hoping fro a younger one, but I can live with an older one. As long as he doesn't boss me around like a certain you know who." Sophie said cheerfully.

"It isn't set in stone, but whatever he chooses, I will be a part of his life."

"Is this a secret pow wow without me," James entered the living room and headed to his favourite chair.

"I was telling the girls about Alain," Martine told him.

"Dad, you knew and you didn't tell us," Sophie said pouting.

Jame raised his hands, "Well, to be fair, it wasn't my story to tell, baby girl."

"I guess so," Sophie conceded.

"Dad, are you going to let this other man's son be part of our family?" Bianca asked.

"I don't see Alain as an 'other man's son', I see him as Martine's son. After talking with him, I kinda like him. So if he decides he wants to be a part of this family, I'll be welcoming. I can't demand that you do the same, but I am asking for you girls to be civil with him. He is your half-brother," James gaze had darted back and forth between Sophie and Bianca, but he leveled his gaze at Bianca as he stopped talking.

"At this point, it's business as usual, when Alain lets me know what he wants, I will let you know and we will work out how to make it work," Martine interjected. "So how about we have breakfast and enjoy this beautiful Sunday."

The Carters moved into the kitchen and despite the revelation, they fell back into their Sunday routine. As Martine started breakfast, she felt a sense of relief. It had gone a lot easier that she thought it would have gone. Now she wondered what Alain had decided.


Thanks for reading part 10 of Martine, I hope you enjoyed this part. Let me know what you think of the story thus far by leaving a comment. Come back next Friday for part 11 of Martine.

Also if you would like to read the whole story, purchase the story here at Smashwords.

No comments:

 
;